The Global Game Jam is seeking an Executive Director (ED) to oversee its operations and programs, while developing its strategy and guiding its growth.The ED is the key management leader for the Global Game Jam, Inc. It is a full-time remote position reporting to the Board of Directors. The position entails working closely with the President & BOD, our Executive Producer and our large volunteer base. The role is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives.
The ED will help expand and deepen the impact of our programs around the world. The ED will wear multiple hats and manage a small staff of 2, your key duties include fundraising, development of a strategic plan for growth, communication strategies, and community outreach. As the senior leader, the ED has primary responsibility for the financial and operational health of GGJ in all areas, and works with the BOD to ensure the organization’s sustainability and stature within the videogame field. The successful candidate will have significant leadership experience in a similar non-profit/arts organization with an annual budget of at least $400,000.
- Transparent and high integrity leadership.
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting.
- Experience with financial statements, operational reports, development, and budgets.
- Proven organizational abilities including planning, program development and task facilitation.
- Create and convey a vision of GGJ’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers, donors and program participants.
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofits.
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate staff, board, volunteers, donors and program participants.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to scale teams and the organization.
- Leadership experience managing several concurrent projects.
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups.
- Adept with social media, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, Eventbrite, YouTube, Survey Monkey, MailChimp, G Suite, HubSpot, Podio, Toggl.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of board, sponsors, participants, media and the general public.
- Familiarity with financial operations activities including US banking, corporate governance, non-profit laws, procedures and tax implications a plus.
Preferred Experience and Credentials: Master’s degree (M.A.) or equivalent preferred; plus 5 years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Video Game industry knowledge extremely helpful but not necessary.
Occasional nights and weekends.
Travel 2-3 weeks per year, for conferences and trade shows.
- Build and sustain GGJ’s capacity to raise funds. Ensure the responsible and prudent stewardship of financial resources entrusted to GGJ. Lead financial planning, forecasting, and analytical activities; ensure the ability for the organization to function.
- Maintenance of records, pay bills and attend to compliance with all applicable laws and taxes.
- Oversee, onboard, manage, pay and comply with all applicable laws in regards to the Executive Producer and any other Contractors.
- Together with BOD, identify opportunities for increased reach and impact through the development of new programs.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of GGJ as dictated from time to time by the Board of Directors.
- Communicate effectively with the Board of Directors and work as liaison with the various committees.
- Provide timely and accurate information and reports to the Board of Directors for evaluation and decision making.
- Oversee marketing functions, business communication and social media for the organization.
- Regularly meet with the President on a bi-weekly basis to cover items related to growth and operations.
- Assess and create innovative ideas for providing resources to grow GGJ while working to obtain buy-in and approval from BOD.
- Submit for approval any and all executive level decisions involving more than $500 dollars of operating expense commitments, changes in sponsorship and external funding.
- Ensure that recommendations related to hiring, merit increases, other compensation related changes are first submitted to the Executive Board before shared with anyone else on the staff.
- Create an annual public report, detailing organisational achievements, funds raised and initiatives developed throughout the year.
- Represent and promote the image of GGJ in a professional and ethical manner at all times.
- Provide clear, compelling and consistent leadership, building a culture of accountability and high performance.
- Build out a plan for sustainability for the organization with regards to funding, grants and budgetary needs/projects with the initial goal of ensuring at least 2 years worth of an operating budget in savings by the end of 2022.
Compensation & Benefits:
USD $70-90K (subject to experience), full-time (min 37 hrs/wk) salaried position, 47 weeks, health care stipend
This is a REMOTE position. Members of GGJ are all over the world.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this position, please send us a cover letter and resume to [email protected] by 11PM PST on the 15th July
Global Game Jam Inc. has a global focus and as such welcomes people from all backgrounds. We encourage all candidates to apply, especially those from groups traditionally underrepresented in executive roles.