The Global Game Jam is the world’s largest game creation event; in 2022, over 33,000 people at 681 virtual and in-person sites in 100 countries created over 5,400 games during the event weekend. We are seeking an organized, passionate, and community focused person to serve as our new Director of Operations. You will be filling the critical role in making our events possible, and empowering people around the world with the opportunity to learn and experience game creation in a safe, fun, and collaborative environment (both onsite and online).
The Director of Operations manages the day-to-day activities of the Global Game Jam (GGJ) and is chiefly responsible for ensuring the successful execution of all GGJ events and collaborating with our global community to attain that goal. In close coordination with the Executive Director, this role facilitates several programs within the organization, handles all operational logistics, and strives to optimize the productivity, efficiency and effectiveness of the GGJ for the long-term. As part of a small core staff, the Director of Operations must know how to handle multiple problems quickly and efficiently and work to find resourceful, proactive solutions to logistical challenges. At the same time, this role serves a key connection between the organization and our community, thus being empathetic and responsive to our community’s diverse needs is a critical component.
To apply: Please email your resume/CV to [email protected] by 23:59 (US-PDT) on 26 June 2022.
- Plan, produce, manage all events run by Global Game Jam, Inc., most notably the annual GGJ event in January, GGJ NEXT and all partner jams that GGJ co-produces.
- Create and manage milestones and deadlines for GGJ and GGJ NEXT, and any third-party partner game jam the organization chooses to pursue.
- Collaborate closely with the Director of Communications on community outreach, messaging, and needs assessment.
- Assist and interface with 3rd party vendors who provide services to GGJ, including but not limited to technology, sponsors and contractors, including sponsorship fulfillment during and after our events.
- Oversee and manage the development and dissemination of pre-event planning and event post-mortem surveys for the improvement of our events.
- Oversee GGJ’s scholarship program for events, such as GDC.
- Manage and contribute to any additional reports that are required to support organizational outreach and fundraising opportunities (e.g., grant support).
- Assist in the creation and dissemination of the monthly GGJ newsletter, in coordination with the Director of Communications.
- Strategically plan and manage the website presence of the GGJ, including working very closely with the Technology Manager on current website maintenance and future site development.
- Work to improve processes and policies in support of organizational goals. Document and implement organizational policies and procedures to help formalize processes for the long-term.
- Monitor, manage and improve the efficiency of support services such as IT implementation. Facilitate coordination and communication between support functions.
- Manage the support of logistical orientation for new staff and board members, as needed.
- Assist the Executive Director in accounting for organizational expenses, as well as the planning and support of marketing and fundraising activities.
- Travel may be required to some major game industry events (e.g., GDC, Gamescom).
- Network and collaborate with the GGJ community and be the primary point of contact for regional and site organizers as part of the process of managing GGJ events.
- Assemble and manage the Event Committee (EC) to assist with the GGJ event, with final approval of the EC by the Executive Director and Board.
- Lead the EC with regular meetings, tasks and responsibilities.
- Work together with the Board, Executive Director, and Director of Communications to improve our year-round engagement with our community.
- Perform ongoing outreach to potential organizations, communities, and volunteers who might be interested in participating in a GGJ event.
- Monitor community adherence to organization rules, regulations and procedures (e.g., GGJ Code of Conduct and Inclusivity Policy).
- Academic credentials or equivalent work experience in business administration, project management, information technology and/or related fields.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as an operations manager, event logistics coordinator, project manager, and/or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in event planning and management.
- Knowledge and experience as a primary or co-host of in-person and virtual game jams.
- Knowledge and experience in community management and outreach.
- Knowledge and experience in organizational effectiveness and operations management.
- Knowledge and experience in project management principles and practices.
- Experience in recruiting and retaining volunteers and managing the delegation and accountability of volunteer tasks.
- Experience managing a multinational fully remote team.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to manage multiple, simultaneous dependencies.
- Excellent proficiency with office productivity software (e.g., Microsoft Office, Google Docs)
- Familiarity with social networking tools such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Familiarity with online collaboration platforms, such as Slack and Discord.
- Familiarity with HTML, CSS and/or ability to understand and articulate technical requirements.
- Game industry experience and/or familiarity with game development culture is strongly preferred.
- Experience in communicating with diverse, international audiences is strongly preferred.
- Exposure to Drupal-based web environments is helpful.
- Knowledge and/or experience in nonprofit organizations is helpful.
- Familiarity with the GGJ is helpful.
- Compensation is commensurate with experience.
- Health insurance coverage is provided up to 80% (negotiable depending on the candidate’s location).
- Flexible time off with two weeks holiday per year.
- Very flexible working hours.
About the Global Game Jam (GGJ):
The Global Game Jam, Inc.®, an international non-profit corporation based in San Luis Obispo, California, USA with a mission to empower individuals worldwide to learn, experiment, and create together through the medium of games. For more information, visit: https://www.globalgamejam.org