The Global Game Jam® is about experimentation, sharing, collaboration and learning from each other. All Jammers are expected to share their games by uploading their games, assets, source code etc.
Games are uploaded under the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 Creative Commons license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/).
This basically means the team that created the game, owns the original content and can do with it as they please, and that Global Game Jam® retains an original copy that other people can download, modify and distribute for non-commercial purposes.
All files necessary to run the game, as well as all assets, source code and project files created during the GGJ and necessary to rebuild/compile & link the game from scratch must be uploaded as well. Third party tools, libraries, engines and assets that are used for the game, but not created during the GGJ, may be omitted from the GGJ project submission. However, clear instructions must be included on how to purchase or obtain these resources in order to continue development on the game.
GGJ also reserves the right to remove any uploaded games if the content is offensive or unsuitable. This includes but is not limited to: games with harmful or prejudicial themes related to gender, sexual orientation, age, ability, appearance, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, socioeconomic status, or religion. If you see a game being created, or find a game on our site which would violate these terms email [email protected] or fill in this form (can be submitted anonymously).
Policy for Email Usage (general)
Global Game Jam® respects our community member’s privacy. As a non-profit organization, Global Game Jam® has never sold or otherwise shared participant email for the purpose of profit to any third party organizations. As of 2015 the organization is distinguishing our contact information into two categories. Our general email list will remain a private list, used only for official communication from the the Global Game Jam non profit and will include the GGJ Newsletter. Our new, opt-in lists provides an opportunity for members of our Global Game Jam community network to contact Global Game Jam participants. These opt-in-lists contain only the email addresses of individuals who have explicitly indicated interest in GGJ announcements from sponsors and promotions.
Consent to this general email usage policy is granted by participating in or registering for the Global Game Jam®.
- For Participants: Your email address will only be used by the GGJ. We do not sell or rent or email our general list of email addresses to third parties. Other than what is explicitly stated below, the GGJ will not share email addresses with unrelated third-parties, affiliates, or regular GGJ members. Please understand, your email address will be shared internally for communication of GGJ events and for compliance to any legal matters.
- The GGJ may also share your Email address with third parties to enable the GGJ to take security measures to help protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure, or destruction of data. Finally, the GGJ may share Email addresses with third parties as necessary for the GGJ to perform certain services on our behalf, such as packaging, mailing and delivering products and processing event registrations and to respond to your service requests.
Usage of General Participant Emails:
Once collected, we may use your Personally Identifiable Information in a variety of ways including, but not limited to:
- Provide service communications such as confirmations, program registrations, and community service messages
- Respond to your emails or online requests for products, services, or information
- Deliver and process surveys
- Personalize and improve the usability of the Sites
- Fulfill and/or deliver Global Game Jam® community tools products and services
- Tailor content, advertising and marketing to you
- Share with third parties as required by law
Opt in Policy
Your e-mail address will be used by the GGJ as with any general participant email. As an opt-in participant your email address will also be provided to third parties to provide you information about game related opportunities. This includes job opportunities, contracts, sub-contracts, products and services offered by third parties.
Opt in Email Usage
- Publish membership directories and registration lists to a limited audience (non-public distribution)
- Sharing with certain other companies to offer you products and services that may be of interest to you as described below:
- Third party sponsors wishing to contact our community about products, services and opportunities
- Other game making contests, press, journalists or allied communities within the Global Game Jam® community network for the purpose of announcing, recruiting, advertising and applauding efforts of GGJ participants.
- The organization reserves the right to provide these emails to third parties when explicit consent is provided by the participant.
Organizers use of GGJ logo and use of Global Game Jam®
Once a location is approved on the GGJ website, the organizer understands the requirements of GGJ and agrees to abide by the rules of Global Game Jam® and use the trademark and logo responsibly and will update their site, media releases and communication accordingly. To be part of Global Game Jam®, all locations must state on their website, media outings and other communications, that their location or local jam is part of the official Global Game Jam® and will use the Global Game Jam® logo provided by GGJ. The organizers will make sure to connect their registration platform of choice (i.e. Eventbrite, Ticketmaster, etc.) and their local webite will refer to the Global Game Jam® website (http://www.globalgamejam.org).
Use of the GGJ logo
Third parties may not use the Global Game Jam® logo without expressed written permission. The logo must always be accompanied with the words “Global Game Jam” and linked directly to “globalgamejam.org”. It must not be used for any purpose other than to identify the Global Game Jam®.
Global Game Jam® Policy on becoming a jam site
One of the things that make the GGJ unique, is that we require all jammers to participate from an approved location. A jam site will typically, but not always, be open to anyone who wants to participate. Most GGJ sites tend to be companies, co-working spaces or universities.
We discourage use of private residences and very rarely approve them.
It is not possible to participate in GGJ as a jammer without being associated to a physical approved site. This means we do not accept virtual sites or remote participants as a default.
All GGJ sites must, at minimum, provide free Internet access and space to set up and work comfortably.
Global Game Jam® Policy on attending as a jammer
To participate in the Global Game Jam event, you must be a legal adult in the country in which you attend the GGJ. See our age policy.
GGJ conducts studies and research related to each global Game Jam event. GGJ research strives to explore, understand and grow the art of games and game jamming. We endeavor to protect the rights, welfare, and well-being of subjects involved in research conducted or supported by Global Game Jam® and the various researchers by adhering to strict legal and ethical protocols. Research is primarily conducted via survey, or observation. GGJ participants may choose to opt-out of interviews and observations by advising their local organizers or by not taking the survey.
No person may participate in a Global Game Jam event® unless they have reached 18 years of age or the age of majority (e.g. are legal adults) in the country of participation (whichever is younger). As an example, participants attending a GGJ site in Scotland or Cuba, must be 16 years of age or older to participate as that is the age of majority, while participants that join a site in the United States, New Zealand or Japan must be 18+ to attend.
The only exception to this rule, is if the minor is accompanied by a legal guardian at all times while attending the jam.
The Global Game Jam® reserves the right to change, modify or make exceptions to all policies at will.
By participating in GGJ or using the GGJ website you accept and abide by the policies stated above. Please contact us ([email protected]) with any questions.