Global Game Jam® History
The Global Game Jam® was the brainchild of Susan Gold in collaboration with Gorm Lai, Ian Schreiber and Foaad Khosmood. GGJ was founded in 2008, inspired by the many game jams before it, such as the Indie Game Jam, Ludum Dare and Nordic Game Jam. GGJ was a project of the International Game Developer's Association (IGDA) from 2009-2012. Starting with GGJ 2013, the event is managed by Global Game Jam, Inc., an International non-profit with an IRS 501c3 charitable designation based in San Luis Obispo, California.
Founding members of Global Game Jam, Inc. (2013) are: Zuraida Buter, Dustin Clingman, Elonka Dunin, Susan Gold, Foaad Khosmood, Gorm Lai, Ian Schreiber.
The 1st annual Global Game Jam® was held January 30-February 1, 2009 to much critical acclaim and success. With over 1,600 participants in 23 countries, with 307 games produced arounf the theme of "As long as we have each other, we will never run out of problems,". GGJ has gone on to grow every year, see below for detailed numbers and themes for each year.
GGJ is a volunteer-run organization, built upon the very hard work of its leadership, site organizers and of course the participants.
Global Game Jam® History video (intro for GGJ13 keynote video).
GGJ Themes throughout the years:
Each GGJ edition has a theme distributed worldwide through the local organizers at the start of the jam. Participants start to work in teams, brainstorming and creating games around the theme. The theme is decided by the "Theme Committee": a team of game industry professionals that discuss different themes and options for a period of time (often a couple of months) before the jam occurs.
- 2009: "As long as we have each other, we will never run out of problems"
- 2010: "Deception"
- 2011: "Extinction"
- 2012: An image of "Ouroboros"
- 2013: The Sound of a Heartbeat
- 2014: "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are"
- 2015: "What do we do now?"
- 2016: "Ritual"
- 2017: "Waves"
- 2018: "Transmission"
- 2009: (30 Jan - 1 Feb): 53 sites, 23 countries, 1,650 participants, 370 games
- 2010: (29-31 Jan): 138 sites, 39 countries, 4,300 participants, 900 games
- 2011: (28-30 Jan): 169 sites, 44 countries, 6500 participants, 1,500+ games
- 2012: (27-29 Jan): 242 sites, 47 countries, 10,684 participants, 2,209 games
- 2013: (25-27 Jan): 319 sites, 63 countries, 16,705 registered participants, 3,248 games
- 2014: (24-26 Jan): 488 sites, 72 countries, 23189 registered participants, 4,292 games
- 2015: (23-25 Jan): 518 sites, 78 countries, 28,800 registered participants, 5,438 games
- 2016: (29-31 Jan): 632 sites, 93 countries, 36,164 registered participants, 6,866 games
- 2017: (20-22 Jan): 701 sites, 95 countries, 36,401 registered participants, 7,263 games
- 2018: (26-28 Jan): 803 sites, 108 countries, 42,800 registered participants, 8,606 games
Info on ggj games releases, kickstarters etc.:
GGJ Keynote Speakers:
YT Keynote Video playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLABD0BC5F8602A2C8
- 2009: Kyle Gabler
- 2010: Ste Curran
- 2011: Keita Takahashi
- 2012: Brenda Romero & John Romero, Gonzalo Frasca, Baiyon, Will Wright
- 2013: Erin Robinson, Bret Victor
- 2014: Richard Lemarchand, Kaho Abe, Jenova Chen
- 2015: Mitu Khandaker-Kokoris, Amora Bettany, Pedro Medeiros and Reiner Knizia
- 2016: Siobhan Reddy and Ramez Naam
- 2017: Extra Credits
- 2018: Robin Hunicke and Thorsten Storno
Global Executive Committees
- 2008 - 2009: Susan Gold, Foaad Khosmood, Gorm Lai, Ian Schreiber
- 2009 - 2010: Susan Gold, Foaad Khosmood, Gorm Lai, Ian Schreiber
- 2010 - 2011: Zuraida Buter, Foaad Khosmood, Gorm Lai, Ian Schreiber
- 2011 - 2012: Zuraida Buter, Elonka Dunin, Laurie Gloge, Foaad Khosmood, Gorm Lai, Ian Schreiber
- 2012 - 2013: Zuraida Buter, Elonka Dunin, Foaad Khosmood, Gorm Lai
- 2013 - 2014: Zuraida Buter(Exec.Dir.), Elonka Dunin, Ciro Duran, Foaad Khosmood, Gorm Lai, Giselle Rosman, Kimberly Voll
- 2014 - 2015: Ashley Alicea, Bill Crosbie, Bruno Campagnolo de Paula, Ciro Duran (Exec. Producer), Rebecca Fernandez, Ian Schreiber
- 2015 - 2016: Ashley Alicea, , Eoin Carroll, Bruno Campagnolo de Paula, Rebecca Fernandez, Lucy Morris, Giselle Rosman (Exec. Producer), Jo Summers
- 2016 - 2017: Eoin Carroll, Bill Crosbie, Bruno Campagnolo de Paula, Rebecca Fernandez, Brian McDonald, Giselle Rosman (Exec. Producer), Jo Summers
- 2017 - 2018: Rebecca Fernandez, Lorenzo Pilia, Anna Prein, Jung-Sheng, Jo Summers (Exec. Producer), Hernán Valdés, Claire Wilgar
- 2018 - 2019: Lorenzo Pilia, Anna Prein, Jung-Sheng, Jo Summers (Exec. Producer), Hernán Valdés, Sabrina Culyba, Gwen Foster
Global Game Jam, Inc. Executive Directors
- 2017 - : Seven Siegel
Global Game Jam, Inc. Board of Directors
- 2012 - 2013 (Founders GGJ, Inc.): Zuraida Buter, Elonka Dunin, Susan Gold (President), Foaad Khosmood (VP / Secretary), Gorm Lai (Treasurer), Ian Schreiber, Dustin Clingman
- 2013 - 2014: Zuraida Buter (ED), Elonka Dunin, Susan Gold (President), Foaad Khosmood (Treasurer), Gorm Lai (VP / Secretary), Romana Ramzan, Sheri Rubin
- 2014 - 2015: Dustin Clingman (Treasurer), Susan Gold, Lindsay Grace, Foaad Khosmood (President), Gorm Lai (VP), Romana Khan-Ramzan, Giselle Rosman
- 2015 - 2016: Dustin Clingman (Treasurer), Susan Gold, Lindsay Grace (VP), Foaad Khosmood, Gorm Lai (President)
- 2016 - 2018: Justin Berenbaum, Susan Gold (VP), Lindsay Grace, Foaad Khosmood (Treasurer), Gorm Lai (President)
- 2018 - 2019: Justin Berenbaum (Treasurer), Susan Gold (President), Lindsay Grace (VP), Gorm Lai, Alex Fernandez,
Astrid Refstrup, Houssem Ben Amor