Global Game Jam® History
The Global Game Jam® was the brainchild of Susan Gold in collaboration with Gorm Lai and Ian Schreiber. GGJ was founded in 2008, inspired by the many game jams before it, such as the Indie Game Jam, Ludum Dare and Nordic Game Jam. GGJ was a project of the International Game Developer's Association (IGDA) from 2009-2012. Starting with GGJ 2013, the event is managed by Global Game Jam, Inc., an International non-profit with an IRS 501c3 charitable designation based in San Luis Obispo, California.
Founding members of Global Game Jam, Inc. (2013) are: Zuraida Buter, Dustin Clingman, Elonka Dunin, Susan Gold, Foaad Khosmood, Gorm Lai, Ian Schreiber.
The 1st annual Global Game Jam® was held January 30-February 1, 2009 to much critical acclaim and success. With over 1600 participants in 23 countries, and a theme of "As long as we have each other, we will never run out of problems," the GGJ produced 370 games. In 2010, the number of participants increased to over 4300 with 900 finished games on the theme of "Deception" (see the 2010 recap). In 2011 there were 6500 participants in 44 countries, who created over 1500 games, and in 2012 the numbers soared to over 10,000 participants in 46 countries, with over 2100 games made in a single weekend! In 2013 the number of participating countries increased from 46 countries to 63 with over 12,000 participants in 319 locations. 2014 welcomed 72 countries, 23,000+ registered participants in 488 locations with 4292 game projects registered. In 2015, we had over 500 locations around the world: 518 sites, 78 countries, 28,800 registered participants.
GGJ is a volunteer-run organization, built upon the very hard work of its leadership, site organizers and of course the participants.
Global Game Jam® History video (intro for GGJ13 keynote video).
GGJ Themes throughout the years:
Each GGJ edition has a theme distributed worldwide through the local organizers at the start of the jam. Participants start to work in teams, brainstorming and creating games around the theme. The theme is decided by the "Theme Committee": a team of game industry professionals that discuss different themes and options for a period of time (often a couple of months) before the jam occurs. For GGJ2013 it was the first time that everyone in the world could submit ideas for the GGJ13 themes as inspiration for the Theme committee.
- 2009: "As long as we have each other, we will never run out of problems"
- 2010: "Deception"
- 2011: "Extinction"
- 2012: An image of "Ouroboros"
- 2013: The Sound of a Heartbeat
- 2014: "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are"
- 2015: "What do we do now?"
- 2009: (30 Jan - 1 Feb): 53 sites, 23 countries, 1650 participants, 370 games
- 2010: (29 - 31 Jan): 138 sites, 39 countries, 4300 participants, 900 games
- 2011: (28 - 30 Jan): 169 sites, 44 countries, 6500 participants, 1500+ games
- 2012: (27 - 29 Jan): 242 sites, 47 countries, 10,684 participants, 2209 games
- 2013: (25 - 27 Jan): 319 sites, 63 countries, 16,705 registered participants, 3248 games
- 2014: (24 - 26 Jan): 488 sites, 72 countries, 23189 registered participants, 4292 games
- 2015: (23 -25 Jan): 518 sites, 78 countries, 28,800 registered participants, 5438 games
Info on ggj games releases, kickstarters etc.:
GGJ Keynote Speakers:
YT Keynote Video playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLABD0BC5F8602A2C8
- 2009: Kyle Gabler
- 2010: Ste Curran
- 2011: Keita Takahashi
- 2012: Brenda Romero & John Romero, Gonzalo Frasca, Baiyon, Will Wright
- 2013: Erin Robinson, Bret Victor
- 2014: Richard Lemarchand, Kaho Abe, Jenova Chen
- 2015: Mitu Khandaker-Kokoris, Amora Bettany, Pedro Medeiros and Reiner Knizia
Global Executive Committees
- 2008 - 2009: Ian Schreiber, Susan Gold, Gorm Lai, Foaad Khosmood
- 2009 - 2010: Ian Schreiber, Susan Gold, Gorm Lai, Foaad Khosmood
- 2010 - 2011: Ian Schreiber, Gorm Lai, Foaad Khosmood, Zuraida Buter
- 2011 - 2012: Ian Schreiber, Gorm Lai, Foaad Khosmood, Zuraida Buter, Elonka Dunin, Laurie Gloge
- 2012 - 2013: Gorm Lai, Foaad Khosmood, Zuraida Buter, Elonka Dunin
- 2013 - 2014: Gorm Lai, Foaad Khosmood, Zuraida Buter (Exec.Dir.), Elonka Dunin, Ciro Duran, Kimberly Voll, Giselle Rosman
- 2014 - 2015: Ashley Alicea, Bill Crosbie, Bruno Campagnolo de Paula, Ciro Duran (Exec. Producer), Rebecca Fernandez, Ian Schreiber
- 2015 - 2016: Ashley Alicea, Bruno Campagnolo de Paula, Eoin Carroll, Rebecca Fernandez, Lucy Morris, Giselle Rosman (Exec. Producer), Jo Summers
Global Game Jam, Inc. Board of Directors
- 2012 - 2013 (Founders GGJ, Inc.): Zuraida Buter, Elonka Dunin, Susan Gold (President), Foaad Khosmood (VP / Secretary), Gorm Lai (Treasurer), Ian Schreiber, Dustin Clingman
- 2013 - 2014: Zuraida Buter (ED), Elonka Dunin, Susan Gold (President), Foaad Khosmood (Treasurer), Gorm Lai (VP / Secretary), Romana Ramzan, Sheri Rubin
- 2014 - 2015: Dustin Clingman (Treasurer), Susan Gold, Lindsay Grace, Foaad Khosmood (President), Gorm Lai (VP), Romana Khan-Ramzan, Giselle Rosman
- 2015 - 2016: Dustin Clingman (Treasurer), Susan Gold, Lindsay Grace (VP), Foaad Khosmood, Gorm Lai (President)